POST OPERATIVE CATARACT INSTRUCTIONS
Having just undergone outpatient eye surgery, you should follow these instructions to help in your care and comfort. Do not be alarmed if your vision is very blurry or has a red hue. Objects and colors may be distorted and you may experience double vision, but you should notice a gradual improvement over the next several weeks. Discomfort should be minimal.
EYE SHIELD INSTRUCTIONS:
- You will be provided with an eye shield.
- If wearing your eye shield when discharged remove in four hours.
- Please wear your eye shield on your operative eye whenever sleeping or napping for 1 week.
EYE DROP INSTRUCTIONS:
Begin your eye drops in the operative eye once at home. Please separate eye drops 1-2 minutes apart.
- PREDNISONE (PRED FORTE) 1 drop in the operative eye 4 times daily until changed by your doctor. *SHAKE WELL*
- ZYMAXID or OFLOXACIN 1 drop in the operative eye 4 times daily for 1 full week. If drops run out before 1 full week please refill the prescription to ensure at least 1 full week of use.
- KETOROLAC (ACULAR) 1 drop in the operative eye 4 times daily for 2 weeks then stop.
• DO NOT RUB THE OPERATIVE EYE!!!
â— No swimming for four (4) weeks.
â— No lifting greater than 15 pounds or heavy exercise for 1 week.
â— No alcohol, driving or important personal or legal decisions for twenty-four (24) hours.
â— No eye makeup for 2 weeks.
â— No traveling for 2 weeks.
â— Please wash around your eye, eyelid, and eyelashes daily.
â— No washing your hair in the sink for 1 week but you may wash your hair in the shower and shower as usual starting the following day of your surgery.
â— Resume your regular diet.
â— Resume your regular medications.
â— You may take acetaminophen (TYLENOL) 2 tablets every 4 hours if needed for pain.
If you experience any sudden severe pain not relieved by acetaminophen (TYLENOL), or sudden decreased vision, please call our office at 412-288-0885 or 800-423-6800. Our telephone answers 24 hours a day.
Return to the office the day after surgery or on the scheduled post operative date. Please bring all of your eye medications as well as this instruction sheet.
FORBES AVE OFFICE GREENSBURG OFFICE CRANBERRY OFFICE
412-288-0885 724-834-3000 724-776-1233
PENN CENTER EAST ROSTRAVER OFFICE MCMURRAY OFFICE
412-824-1300 724-929-5512 724-942-0737